Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis Resource Kit
Use this guide to connect to, provide, share, and/or understand resources available to the Afghans and Americans that are resettling from Afghanistan during the August 2021 Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis.
VFRL Statement | History | Current Crisis| Resources| Action
- “Afghanistan in Crisis: An Open Letter”, VFRL Medium, 17 Aug 2021, Read time: 3 min
“We remember the costs and sacrifices this almost 20-year conflict has required of our Service members, veterans, and their families.”
- “Afghanistan Interpreter Crisis Resource Kit” — VFRL Medium, 17 Aug 2021, Read time: 2 min
- “The history of Afghanistan and US ties” — Vox, 21 Aug 2021, Read time: 13 min
- “Taliban sweep into Afghan capital…” — AP News, 15 Aug 2021, Read Time: 6 min
- “Chaotic evacuation from Afghanistan was inevitable…” — Military Times, 22 Aug 2021, Read time: 8 min
- “Pentagon gets U.S. commercial airlines to help with Afghanistan evacuation” — Vanity Fair, 22 Aug 2021, Read time: 11 min
- “Infographic: How many people evacuated from Afghanistan so far?” — Al Jazeera, 22 Aug 2021, Read time: 4 min
- Veteran Crisis Line — If you are having thoughts of suicide, call 1–800–273–8255, then PRESS 1 or visit veteranscrisisline.net
- US Department of State — Afghanistan Inquiries
- Refugee Processing Center — SIV/Iraqi & Syrian P-2/Afghan P-2, Map FY 2020 Reception and Placement Program Affiliate Sites
- Travel.State.Gov —Afghanistan Evacuation Information
- Tom Cotton (R-AR) — Contact Information for Americans Stranded in Afghanistan
- No One Left Behind & Higher Ground Vets — On Monday, August 23, 2021, we sent a letter to President Biden urgently requesting that he meet with our Coalition to discuss fulfilling our commitment to our Afghan allies. We’d like for you to join us in co-signing this letter, so that we can show the White House that there’s increasing momentum and political will behind Americans’ desire to see us keep our promises.
- AirBnb — Airbnb and Airbnb.org are announcing that Airbnb.org will provide temporary housing to 20,000 Afghan refugees worldwide. “Airbnb.org — an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to facilitating temporary stays for people in moments of crisis”
- Sen. Chris Coons — Senator Coons on situation in Afghanistan | WITN Channel 22 Wilmington, Delaware (witn22.org)
- Sen. Tom Carper — “Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.)…said that while the U.S. military shouldn’t have stayed “indefinitely,” the drawdown “should have been carefully planned to prevent violence and instability, and to ensure that the hard-fought progress gained over the past two decades — particularly when it comes to Afghan women and girls — would not be lost.” Statement on Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis.
- Rep. Jamie Raskin — Signed a bipartisan letter pressing The White House for answers on Afghanistan evacuations.
- Lutheran Immigration Refugee — Currently accepting volunteers: “Help Our Afghan Allies”; Press: “President Biden Must Act Immediately to Protect Vulnerable Afghans”, Statement on President Biden’s Speech Addressing Evacuation Efforts in Afghanistan, LIRS on NPR’s ‘Here & Now’: “Relocating Our Afghan Allies”
- World Vision — 16 Aug 2021, “Act now to avoid failing the children of Afghanistan”
- Add your name to join us in calling on the U.S. government to lift all red tape for Afghan refugees immediately.
- Join the conversation and tell us what you are thinking and feeling at this moment using #salamforafghanistan.
- Let us know you or your organization can support this crisis in ways other than donating by filling out our short form.
- If you know a family/individual involved in the Afghanistan Crisis, and they need resources, please share this form with them or complete it for them.
- Join our mailing list for weekly updates on this crisis and for invites to our weekly Community Calls.
- Next week, we’ll be hosting a Community Call centered in communicating with you representatives, whether it’s phone, written, or in-person.